30.4.07

Legacy.

"I wanna leave a legacy, how will they remember me? Did I choose to love?....Child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically, leave that kind of legacy." (Forget who sings that song.)

Tonight those were in essence the words of my Sensei as we prayed at the end of class. Now granted what I posted was a song, but it can be compared to the heart of my Sensei's prayer. All he wants for us is for us to have a real relationship with Jesus, and secondly to be able to defend ourselves if we are ever attacked or we need to defend one of our friends or loved ones.

I have always had great respect for my Sensei Mark. He is in every aspect of the word my role model. Well one of them. But my respect for him does not stem from the aspect that he could totally whoop me and 10 of my friends without breaking a sweat. It stems from the fact that I can see Jesus in his life. His priority in every class is to pay respect to the highest ranking individual first, last and all times. And while most would assume it would be him, being a 6th degree black belt, he turns our attention to God.

I have written many a blogs on Myspace and Xanga about how great my Kung Fu class is. But in all reality, I should be writing about the fact that I go to Kung Fu on Mondays to learn how to defend myself and I come away having learned more about Jesus.

The reason I focused this one particular blog on Sensei Mark is because he inspires me to think about the legacy I am leaving. What are my actions, my words, my life telling others... What legacy am I leaving? Am I showing others to Christ? Am I encouraging others in their walks with Christ or am I so wrapped up in my own life that I can't see my brother or sister in Christ struggling with their walk?

"I want to leave a legacy. How will they remember me?" That is the cry of heart at this moment... That along with so many other cries stemming from a mere desire to serve God... to know God... to bask in His presence. I just want to make God the total center of my life. I want to be more like Him and less like me.

No comments: